The Andaman and Nicobar Islands, better known as the land of Kala Pani, is one of India’s most beautiful Island travel destinations. These remote Islands have many things to offer to all their tourists. From exotic beaches to rich marine biodiversity, the place is a perfect call for all beach lovers. Andaman and Nicobar is a union territory of India with pristine beaches and awestruck coral reefs, and an immense sea.
But, do you know, not just beautiful beaches and Coral reefs, the place is also trendy for various other things. So, in the next few minutes, you all are going to get impressed and amazed by the things this land of Kala Pani has to offer.
- Lively Capital City Of Andaman and Nicobar: Port Blair
- Places to visit in Andaman and Nicobar
- Activities To Do In Andaman And Nicobar Islands
Lively Capital City Of Andaman and Nicobar: Port Blair
Port Blair is the capital of Andaman and Nicobar. Most of you know about this, but what you do not know is what you can do in Port Blair. Actually, when we hear about Andaman and Nicobar, the first thing that comes in our mind is Beaches and Sea. But, Port Blair itself offers a wide variety of tourist spots and amazing activities to its visitors.
The most convenient way to reach Port Blair is by air. You will land at Veer Savarkar International Airport also known as Port Blair Airport. You can also try the sea route. However, Port Blair Airport is connected with all the other states and cities of India and other parts of the world. Therefore, reaching there by flight is far more convenient and quick. Once you reach there, first, you will be enthralled by the beauty of the place. The freshness in the air, intermittent rain, widespread greenery, and the blue waters all look like a dream place.
Places to visit in Andaman and Nicobar
Now, once you are in Port Blair, try to spend a day or two exploring different places in the capital city. So, now I am listing you a few popular attractions of Port Blair and the surrounding Islands. These are the places I found very lively during my trip to Andamans.
Cellular Jail is one of the most popular attractions for tourists. This is not an ordinary-looking Jail or prison, rather a heritage it is. The place is also known as Kala Pani as it is associated with India’s freedom struggle. There is a story behind this that goes back to the Colonial Era of India.
You can walk around Cellular Jail and witness the walls describing the stories of freedom fighters. The best part of Cellular Jail is the Light and Sound Show of Kala Pani. The show is beautifully presented, describing the British’s atrocities on Indian Freedom fighters at Kala Pani. The show will leave you with a heart full of respect for the people who fought for our freedom and tears in your eyes.
Birdwatch at Port Blair: Chidiya Tapu
Chidiya Tapu is another place that will leave you spellbound. Along with witnessing the beautiful sunset, you will see several species of birds. The best time to visit the place is early morning and stay around 4 to 5 PM for the sunset.
Shopping and Market Visit: Aberdeen Bazar
Aberdeen Bazaar is where you can go shopping and purchase items associated with the sea and marine life. There are various roadside stalls and government emporiums to find artifacts, pearls, conch, etc. But, before visiting the place, you must do homework on your bargaining skills.
Corbyn Cove Beach
It is a beautiful and idyllic beach just at a distance of 8 to 10 kilometres from Port Blair. It is one of the most popular beaches in Port Blair. Almost every tourist visits this place and the reason is it offers a treat to your eyes. You will see coconut trees spreading as far as you can see, you can enjoy water sports such as scuba diving, surfing, boating, etc., or you can just simply take a dip in the water and take sunbathe. Corbyn Cove beach is into two parts. A separate space for relaxing, and the other half is for swimmers. You can also visit snake island, which is near Corbyn Cove. The island has various species of venomous snakes.
Another famous island near the capital city is Ross Island. In Colonial times, the island was the capital of British, and you can see the old and extinct architectural remnants of that period there. The island also has deers, a museum, and bunkers built by the Japanese during the second world war. To reach Ross from Port Blair, you just have to take a ferry ride from the capital, and you can reach the island in just 15 minutes.
There are other beautiful places in Port Blair, such as Munda Pahar Beach, Wandoor Beach, Mahatma Gandhi Marine National Park, Mount Harriet, North Bay island, Samudrika Museum, etc. To cover all these spots in Port Blair, you have to stay at least 3 to 4 days in the capital city
One of the most acclaimed islands of Andaman is Havelock Island. It is truly a paradise located about 70 kilometres away from Port Blair. The new official name of this island is Swaraj Deep. Havelock is a wonderful place, with white sandy beaches, blue waters, and the best place for scuba diving. At Havelock Island, one can do many things, from Scuba to parasailing, and you can also go for the jungle treks as well.
Havelock Island is famous for its tranquil atmosphere and relaxed vibe. Also for varieties of activities, it offers to tourists. There are mainly three popular beaches at Havelock Island: Radhanagar Beach, Kalapathar Beach, and Elephanta Beach. Therefore, if you want to cover all three beaches along with water sport activities, I would recommend having a 2 to 3-night stay.
How to Reach Havelock Island
As told you earlier, it is about 70 km away from the capital city. Therefore, the journey will be of 3 to 4 hours from Port Blair. You can go by air or by private or government ferries. The best option will be a private ferry if you are not having a budget issue.
- Internet connectivity at Havelock Island is not good. You may have a lot of issues with your phone networks. Only 2g works here, and that too erratically.
- There are only 2 ATMs on Havelock island. Therefore, it would be better to carry cash along with you.
- Only primary medical treatment is provided in Havelock. For other emergency cases, patients are transferred to Port Blair.
Neil island is another beautiful island located in South Andaman. The new name of this island is Shaheed Island. The Island is famous for its rich biodiversity, coral reefs, and densely packed tropical green forest. The island is renowned for its secluded lifestyle. Away from the city noise and pollution, the place attracts people who genuinely want to enjoy the vacation. The Island has scarce network connectivity, so you cannot communicate with the outside world. These things make this island a perfect spot to stay during the trip to Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
Activities To Do In Andaman And Nicobar Islands
There are a lot of water sports available in the Andaman. You can enjoy each one of them. They are completely safe and fun.
- Scuba Diving: People flock to this place for its famous scuba diving. It is one of the most admired water sport in Andaman. The underwater life will give you a once-in-a-lifetime experience for sure.
Sea walking: Next to scuba comes sea walking. If you want to explore marine life, then sea walking is a must-try. The underwater beauty and the calmness will enthral you. It is one of the most adventurous things to do. One thing is sure; once you are underwater, you surely want to stay there forever.
- Dolphin Boat: Those who are scared of going underwater and want to explore underwater life equally should go for this. There is a glass at the bottom of this boat that provides you with a clear and closer look at aquatic life.
- Snorkeling: Another water sport that has got a lot of attention from tourists. Snorkeling gives you a close view of marine life and you do not need to go into deep waters. Enjoy snorkeling in Andaman and discover the coral reefs and colored fishes.
- Kayaking: Available at Havelock Island, this is an exciting activity to perform on your trip to Andaman. You can explore the rich diversity of the Mangroves along with some irresistible fun.
- Sea Plane: Are you ready to have a birds-eye view of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands? If yes, then do not miss the opportunity to fly in a sea plane.
- Parasailing: You can enjoy parasailing activity as well at various spots in Andaman. You will find yourself flying amid the eternal sea. Indeed, it will be a breathtaking experience.
- Jet Ski: Jet Ski is another water activity that surely gives excellent fun. Jet ski is available on various beaches of Andaman.
All these water sports are highly recommended and exciting as well. If you are also planning to visit Andaman and Nicobar islands, never forget to enjoy these water activities.
So this is all about Andaman and Nicobar Islands, hope you have had a good time reading this blog. Do share your experience or feedback in the comment section below.